It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Was I not just singing the praises of my boy, The Magician, Phil?!
Impossible to call that “revenge” after last season’s 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Stoke, but it’ll do. There were not a lot of meaningful takeaways from the match, but a select few things stood out today (in no particular order):
- The Britannia, never an easy place to play
- Stoke’s Walters is 52 years old, and he’s still pretty good
- Glen Johnson can still ghost past multiple defenders and produce nothing
- Hey, we’re not down 5-1 at the half!
- Dirty elbow from Lovren, still want to know what he’s doing to get ahead of Sakho
- My theory Lallana turns into a pumpkin after 70 minutes grows
- Migs saved Skrtel TWICE on lazy back passes
- Can and Firmino looked lively for their brief time on the pitch
It could have easily been 0-0, but those are the types of games we will need positive results from to get where we want to be at the end of the season. Not much to analyze Benteke on, we need to get him the ball in better positions. Good result Redmen. YNWA.